Sunday, August 25, 2013

Challenges

It's been awhile since I've put my thoughts down...I've been BU-ZEE!!  My real job took me across the big pond to Copenhagen, Denmark to see where insulin is produced, packaged and then sent all around the world!  It's was truly amazing to see the simplicity in something that saves my son's life everyday.  Our second child, Tanner, was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when he was 4 years old.  I'm so proud of how he's taken control of his life and is a strong, healthy 20 year old man :)

It's quite the task to take time away...even though I was excited to have this opportunity presented, it was also a change in my routine.  How would I get my workouts in?  What kind of food will be available?  How will I adjust to the time change? Will my family survive without me? (haha!  that's an easy one!).  Amazingly~~~everything worked out.
I planned on bringing over what I needed if I couldn't find it...you know, TRX Suspension Trainer and door adapter, oatmeal, peanut butter, protein powder, raisins...all the good stuff!!  Then I made my "plan" of attack for my workout...I would stick to my lifting schedule (even though I had no idea what weights I'd have access to-hence the TRX Suspension Trainer!) and plan on getting at least 30 minutes of cardio each day.  I think telling myself that this WILL be part of my schedule, just like my meetings were, made me feel better about the break in my routine.
The fitness center had weights--in kg--so my wonderful math skills were put to use...amazing how smaller numbers can make you feel like your not doing what you should (22 kg = ~48lbs, in case you are wondering...), and, after getting asked a couple times if I do Crossfit!!, I had to school some big boys on what I do..  "There's no way you do ZUMBA and can do look like that...you should do Crossfit!"  Really...so, I'm doing ZUMBA and lifting weights and seeing results (I look like "that"), but I should still do crossfit???  My response was "WHY?"  What will Crossfit do for me that I'm not already getting results from?? ...Yep, they were speechless...
Now, don't get me wrong, there is definite benefits from Crossfit--if done correctly--IF done correctly, (I typed that twice on purpose)...and, my philosophy has always been:  if it gets more people to become more active, then by all means do what excites you.  But, for me...I do not see the benefit of jumping up onto big boxes, flipping over tires, and lifting any heavier than I am right now...so...I'll stick with what excites me.
It is nice to see progress whenever you make changes. People that hadn't seen me since I started this new journey were very impressed (and curious) about what I was doing.  I assisted many with the process of uploading the My Fitness Pal app on their phones :).  They started stealing eggs for me (just kidding...but, I definitely got looks when I grabbed 5 hard boiled eggs every morning) and asked questions about what they should or shouldn't be eating, and, when I was going to work out,  and, what I was lifting and how much....and "can you eat this??"  It was a challenge, but I'm happy to say I maintained my weight while being exposed to beautiful white wine and beer, luscious looking danishes and pastries, and saucy, cheesy, carb loaded dishes.
It is nice to be home...to know what my schedule is going to be...to understand the language that is being spoken around me, to see familiar faces, and sleep in my own bed.
I've realized that no matter what happens in my schedule, it is up to me to stick to my plan and know that in the end I will probably never look back and say "I should have eaten that pastry in Denmark...NOT!"

2 comments:

  1. I would have eaten the pastry in Denmark :) I'm not quite there yet but I am making baby steps by doing outside cardio activities...biked 20 miles the other day. Perhaps the cold weather will bring me back to your studio for some motivation and fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENT job, Caryn! Everytime I see you, I wish I could be more like you! Your energy, discipline and positive attitude are beyond amazing! You and Brittani are my heros!

    Your trip sounds amazing!

    Susie Hoekstra

    ReplyDelete