Saturday, June 28, 2014

Comparisons...

It's been a week since I was on the stage.  At this very moment last Saturday, I was getting my food ready to take to the convention center.  Nervous to find out how I placed in the categories I competed in.

Today, I spent some time really thinking about when I started this journey, way back on July 1, 2013.  Not even a year ago... I picked up my first weight in many years and started logging my food into the "my fitness pal" app.  I had a goal: to compete in NPC Women's Figure Category on October 12, 2013.  (You can read all about it in my previous blogs!).
I placed 4th out of 12 girls in the Women's Master's 40+ division and also 4th in the Figure Class D division (also with 12 girls).  I was please with the results, but, knew I could do better!  I was hungry for more!
NPC October 21, 2013 Women's Figure Class D
After my first show, my objective was to put on muscle weight, fill out those muscle bellies, and work hard to improve the balance between my upper and lower body (ie: build my back and shoulders so it looks like I have a waist!).

June 21, 2014...the day arrived...I had hoped that everything I had done would pay off.  Did I do enough?  Should I have worked harder?  This prep was so different than my last show, and even though I was tired, I wanted to go out there and show the judges just what this old lady can do with a couple months in the weight room!
I have been looking at the pictures from last Saturday's show.  I competed in Women's Master's 40+ Figure and Figure Class C.....plus....Women's Master's Physique and Women's Open Physique Class.

NPC June 21, 2014 Women's Figure Pictures:



NPC June 21, 2014 Women's Physique Poses:

There's a couple key pearls I'd like to share.  I weighed the same at both competitions.  My body fat was about 1% LOWER at this years competition.  In my off season training, I had put on ~8lbs of muscle.  I didn't take any supplements, except protein powder when needed.  I took a multi vitamin, plus my prescribed meds for my Rheumatoid Arthritis.  All physical changes were accomplished through food intake~and~lifting weights 6 days per week.  
The judges told me to build my back and shoulders...well...I did and it resulted in First place in Master's Physique and First place in Master's Figure 40+, AND Overall Figure Master's winner, plus, 2nd place in Figure Class C and Physique open.  Whew!!  That's a lot of shoes on, shoes off rigmarole backstage!!  

So, now what....time to relax the body.  I said this would be my last time competing.  Yes, it's a lot of work.  But the thrill of walking on stage and showing how all your hard work has paid off is so rewarding.  The days of hunger and exhaustion just magically disappear when the trophies are placed in your hands.  What to do...what to do...what to do???
I have so many thoughts that are buzzing around in my head..that I think I will need to address them in  another blog :D....Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment