Saturday, July 19, 2014

Just Keep Swimming...Just Keep Swimming...

I'm in that stage where I still reach for the measuring cups and spoons and ask myself at the end of the day "did you get all your protein in??".  It's hard to shift gears after months of weighing, measuring and recording everything that passes your lips.

I haven't made up my mind if I'll compete again.  I still think about how I felt in June..the excitement...the anxiety...the stress...but, in the end, I did enjoy the journey.

It was harder this last time.  The diet was more defined and changed from day to day (I guess that's why it's called a "diet").  My weight training and cardio sessions were more intense.  The way I practiced my posing was adjusted based upon how my body was transforming.

The goal was to keep my muscle mass up while decreasing the body fat.  The high water, carb cycling, intense cardio and low fat regimen is the recipe to accomplish that.  Although it was very tough some days, I survived!

It's been kinda fun, (and I say that lightly), to talk about how I "acted" while I was preparing for this show.  
Let me expand that a little bit...
I recently found out that on low carb days, my family didn't argue with me about anything!  I was right no matter what I said (duh!)..I kinda relate it to the Snicker's commercial..you know, where the kid is unruly and aggressive (Joe Pesci), then eats a Snicker's bar (aka carbs!) and turns into a relaxed, easy going, passive person.
 I feel that I survive my low carb/no carb cycling days by making sure I ate all my vegies, protein, and drank ALL my WATER to keep the hunger pains intact! Although my family has a different perspective on how I handled those days, (and I respect them for that)... I have apologized to them...(even though I really don't think I was a "Joe Pesci";).

I also remember that if I was upset about something, I'd first ask myself how many carbs I'd had for the day before I reacted.  If it was low, my mouth stayed shut!  Even in my big girl job...I just acted like Dora in Little Nemo..."just keep swimming..just keep swimming...."  don't let anything get your panties in a bundle today, cuz you are probably overreacting!!  Funny how I KNEW this about those days...you really do become more in tune with how your body feels when you are fueling it differently.

I've been asked what my plan is now...these days, I'm still conscious of what I am eating.  I've had my share of treats..and have found out that adding gluten and dairy back into my diet is not an overnight process (no pizza or beer yet!!).  My RA has been getting angry with me on days that I have more sugar than I should...so, I know for my joints, staying low sugar is a good option (and it's usually how I  eat anyway).
I'm not really counting the grams of carb, protein and fat I take in...but I can feel the days when my intake is not balanced.  I especially notice it in my energy level when I teach classes.  I have to tell you...the first day back teaching and having carbs on board was AmAzInG!!  I had not idea I could fly around the room and feel like I had energy to climb the walls and swing from the rafters!!  What a feeling!!!

I'm slowly getting back into lifting weight...total body sessions after  a week off...then upper and lower body sessions...I like to lift weights.  I like feeling strong, and, at my age, to see muscle development is a good thing!
So...I don't have to make any decisions right now about the future.  I'm happy with how things are going and know that if there are Joe Pesci  and Dora days in my future, I'll be ready to *just keep swimming...just keep swimming...*


No comments:

Post a Comment